You can eat this creamy jackfruit “chicken” salad on a sandwich, top it on an avocado half, or you can mix it in your salad to make it elegant and filling. Once you make this, come back to us and let us know how you enjoyed it.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 10m
- 1 qt low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (20 oz) can organic young jackfruit in water
- 1/2 c raw cashews (soaked in water for 4 hours and then drained)
- 1/3 c unsweetened almond milk
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 c red grapes, halved
- 2/3 c dried tart cherries (without sulfur or preservatives)
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, stems removed and minced
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place the broth in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and add it to the saucepan. Cover and simmer for one hour. Remove from the heat, strain the broth, and shred the jackfruit. Set aside.
- Add the cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, garlic, and sea salt to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the shredded jackfruit in a bowl with the cashew cream (add slowly because you may not need it all), celery, green onion, grapes, cherries, thyme, and sea salt and pepper. Mix until everything is combined and then place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- You can place it in a sandwich with tomatoes, spinach, and avocados, or you can top it on a salad.
- Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.