Add a little kick and vibrant colors to any meal when you pair it with this lively side dish. Steamed cabbage is a classic recipe in Jamaican cuisine and it offers a world of health benefits. Cabbage is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family and it is an incredibly nutritious vegetable, despite the fact that people overlook it.
Cabbage contains a lot of vitamin C & K, fiber, folate, calcium, potassium, and vitamin B6. Additionally, it also contains small amounts of micronutrients that have antioxidant properties. Load up on cabbage and a healthy amount of capsaicin from the scotch bonnet pepper. This is an extremely hot pepper, so you’ve been warned!
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 25m
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 c filtered water
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper
- Warm the coconut oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion garlic, bell pepper, thyme, green onion, and sea salt and sauté for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage and carrots into the pan and toss to combine. Cook for two minutes and then pour in the water and Scotch Bonnet pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and serve with your main course. Please remove the Scotch Bonnet pepper before serving.