Guacamole is one of the tastiest and most filling dips in existence. It’s similar to hummus in that way, but hummus is not raw vegan because it contains cooked chickpeas. Guacamole contains beneficial fats that may help reduce inflammation, encourage heart health, and keep you full to prevent future cravings. We are, of course, referring to the monounsaturated fats in avocados, which may assist with lowering bad cholesterol and protecting against cognitive decline.
Different people have their own signature spin that they put on guacamole. Some enjoy a spicy flavor, so they add diced serrano peppers and a few dashes of cayenne. Others enjoy notes of sweetness, so they chop up mango and incorporate it into the mix. You can mash the avocado for a rich, creamy guacamole, or you can keep it chunky and avoid mashing it. When you don’t mash the avocado and add lime, onion, cilantro, and tomatoes, it almost becomes a chunky pico de gallo with avocados.
For this recipe, mashing the avocado is encouraged. To yield an even mash, do your best to choose ripe avocados. Although many people do the feel test to see if avocados are ripe, there’s an easier way to determine ripeness. The little “nipple” on top of the avocado, where the fruit attached to the tree, will come off easily if the avocado is ripe. If it does not come off easily, then your avocado is not ready. You should be able to see the exposed green avocado flesh when you pop off that “nipple.” Oh, and don’t worry about tasting the kale. The other flavors are so powerful and delicious that you won’t even notice it!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 4 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 c kale, finely chopped
- 1/8 c cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 c green onions, thinly sliced
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Add the peeled and pitted avocados to a large bowl and mash evenly.
- Before adding the kale to the bowl, make sure that you do not include the thick, bitter stems, as they will add an unpleasant flavor to your guac.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well to combine. Taste and adjust flavors according to your preference. Serve with fresh vegetable sticks, or with your raw tacos.