Is it too hot outside to think about cooking? That means it’s time for a kale salad. Do you feel sluggish and need a diverse blend of nutrients? It’s time for a kale salad. Are your jeans tighter than normal? Time for a kale salad. Are you seeing a trend here? It’s always time for a kale salad, especially when it’s this recipe.
Kale salads can be hit or miss. A common mistake that people make when making kale salads is that they don’t massage the leaves and chop them well. Kale is very fibrous and requires you to manually break it down for a more pleasant eating experience. Additionally, you must remove the thick, fibrous stems, otherwise you’ll be chomping on bitter, crunchy kale bits. Nobody wants that.
Why do sweet ingredients work with kale? Kale is naturally bitter and has an assertive flavor. For this reason, sweet ingredients like blueberries, dates, apples, dried cranberries, or dried cherries work well in kale salads. You can’t just have sweet ingredients in the salad, though. That’s where the apple cider vinaigrette comes in. The acidic dressing is the secret to the success of this salad. It bridges the gap between the sweet and bitter ingredients and creates for a sensational eating experience. We hope you love it.
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- Serves: 2 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Salads & Dressings, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 8 oz kale, chopped and thick stems removed
- 1/2 c raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 c dried cranberries (sugar and preservative-free)
- 1 Gala apple, cut into slivers
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Season with sea salt and pepper, taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Set aside while you make the salad.
- Massage the kale leaves when you rinse them. Make sure to remove the thick stems and chop the leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Add the chopped kale to a large salad bowl along with the remaining salad ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat all of the ingredients.
- Serve in separate bowls and enjoy.