Is there anyone who doesn’t love a filling afternoon snack? Sometimes you need to refuel to avoid crashing, but you don’t necessarily want to drink a cup of coffee. You don’t need to caffeinate yourself when you can eat one or two of these lemon poppy energy bites and feel a natural energy surge. Additionally, eating raw vegan energy bites, like this recipe, helps satisfy your sweet tooth without eating an unhealthy sweet treat.
Energy bites are so satisfying, offering plenty of plant-based protein, fiber, healthy fats, and just the right amount of sweetness. The protein comes from the cashews, cashew butter, and coconuts, while the sugar comes from the Medjool dates. Before you add the dates to the food processor, make sure to pit them and roughly chop them. That aids the blending process and reduces the likelihood of large date pieces ending up in the mixture. Even though the dates offer natural sweetness, the acidity of the fresh lemon juice helps balance the flavor profile. That citrus note is such a beautiful undertone of flavor, reminding your taste buds of a classic lemon poppy seed muffin.
We don’t typically incorporate poppy seeds into a lot of our recipes. There are a few, but this poppy seed recipe is the first one that we’ve in quite a while. Poppy seeds are rich in protein, fiber, manganese, magnesium, iron, thiamine, copper, and more. Several studies found that they exhibit pain-relieving compounds and may boost heart and skin health. Poppy seeds may also aid digestion, enhance fertility, and protect against certain illnesses, but more research is necessary on this matter. Please enjoy these healthy snacks and let us know if you like them in the comments.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 14 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Appetizers & Snacks, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 c Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 c raw cashews
- 1/2 c desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp. raw cashew butter
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- Add the dates and cashews to the food processor and blend until finely ground.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until thoroughly combined. You may need to stop blending, scrape down the sides of the processor bowl, and continue blending to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- To form the energy bites, wet your hands to avoid sticking. Use your hands to form tablespoon-size energy bites and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to avoid sticking.
- Place the energy bites in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour, or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and enjoy. Store leftover energy bites in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple weeks, or in the freezer for a couple months.