Kale has always been a primary leader in the world of superfoods. Kale is rich in vitamins, minerals, and brain-boosting phytonutrients. This trendy leafy green has anti-inflammatory properties and promotes cardiovascular health. Since summer is around the corner, it’s time to make some kale salad. This isn’t your ordinary kale salad, though; it’s a massaged kale salad! Yes, you will be massaging a vegetable to eat it.
Why should you massage your kale? The reason to give your superfood a rubdown is to break down kale’s tough structure. The leaves get darker when you massage them because you are essentially wilting them without cooking. You can also add a little organic extra virgin olive oil and a few dashes of sea salt to help tenderize the kale. You’ll have dressed the kale and massaged it in one go!
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- Serves: 4 people
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Appetizers & Snacks, Salads & Dressings, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 bunch of kale (about 6 leaves), stems removed
- juice from 1 lemon (about 2 Tbsp)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 mango, sliced into ¾" cubes
- 1 c organic blueberries
- 2 tbsp. raw pepitas
- Roughly chop the kale, after removing the thick stems, and place the leaves in a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, and sea salt, and toss to combine. Make sure to massage the kale for couple minutes. This helps soften the kale and infuse the flavors.
- Season with additional sea salt and freshly ground pepper, if desired.
- Add the mango cubes, blueberries, and pepitas to the bowl with the kale and toss to combine.
- Enjoy immediately, or chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Don't leave it in the fridge for longer than a couple hours though. Nobody wants a soggy salad.