- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 1/2 c cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 5 1/2 c cooked quinoa
- 1/2 c cheddar or pepper jack cheese OR Daiya shreds
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. salsa
- 2 large eggs or flax eggs, beaten
- 1 c plain or gluten free breadcrumbs
- Coconut Oil, for cooking
- For serving: salsa, avocado, lettuce
- If using flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons warm water. Stir well and set aside. (Skip this step if you are using eggs.)
- Spray a medium pan with olive oil and heat to medium. Add onion and pepper and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine ¾ cup of the beans and ¾ cup of quinoa. Process until well blended. Add to the bowl with the onion mixture and stir in remaining beans and quinoa, cheese, taco seasoning, paprika and salsa. Mix until combined and add in (flax) eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix well and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Form into patties and place the patties in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. (optional - this helps them hold together better)
- Heat oil to medium and cook until browned, flipping once.
I made these with gluten free breadcrumbs. For those of you who are gluten free and don’t want to spring for the boxed gluten free breadcrumbs (I don’t) you can easily make your own. Just take a few slices of gluten free bread and process them in a food processor until crumbs form. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil and process again. Heat a skillet to medium high and add the crumbs. (They should sizzle.) Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 8 minutes. Store in the freezer.