Sometimes, you need a recipe that doubles as a healthy snack and a sweet treat. Filled with cashews, dates, cacao powder, flaxseeds, and a dash of fresh peppermint, these mint chocolate energy balls are to die for. Filled with chocolatey goodness and loaded with wholesome, nutritious ingredients. That’s why you can enjoy energy balls as a healthy snack or an after dinner treat.
The base of these energy balls are the three primary macronutrients: fats, protein, and carbohydrates. They also contain lots of fiber and other micronutrients, including powerful antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Ground flaxseeds are naturally rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, helping to reduce inflammation and promote healthy digestion. Dates provide natural sweetness and happen to be an excellent fiber source. Finally, cacao powder, not to be confused with cocoa powder, is a fantastic source of magnesium and antioxidants.
The great thing about these energy balls is that they keep you full between meals. One or two should fill you up, but make sure not to go crazy because they are calorically dense. You can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months. Just make sure that you line your container with parchment paper so that they don’t stick to the container.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 14 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Appetizers & Snacks, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 c raw cashews
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 c raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free peppermint extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend on high until the mixture forms a clumpy, dough-like consistency.
- You may need to stop blending, scrape down the sides, and continue blending a couple times to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, a tablespoon, or wet hands, make the blended mixture into bite-size energy balls.
- Place the energy balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and then place in the freezer for about 30-60 minutes so they can firm up.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months. Enjoy!