The betaine is one of the huge benefits of beets. It helps to stimulate liver cells and protects the liver and bile ducts. Beet fiber also can increase the production of detoxifying enzymes in the liver.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:50m
- Total Time:1h
- 5 medium beets, washed & scrubbed
- 1/2 c minced red onion
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place the beets in a large pot over high heat and pour enough water into the pot to cover the beets by at least two inches. Boil for about 50 minutes, or until fork-tender; the skin should easily come off when they are ready.
- Drain the beets and let them soak in an ice bath for 30 minutes.
- While the beets are cooling, whisk the rest of the ingredients together in a small bowl until they are well combined. Set aside.
- Once the beets are cooled, peel them and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Combine everything together in a large bowl, serve, and enjoy!