Like any great soup, this bold slow cooker soup starts with the holy trinity of soup ingredients: onions, celery, and carrots. All of the other ingredients, however, obviously create the robust flavors that you will most definitely enjoy.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:6h
- Total Time:6h 15m
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 c carrots, chopped
- 1 c onions, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tsp. each coriander and cumin powder
- 1 tsp. curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. each smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, and turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 6 -7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 c baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice, or lemon wedges for serving
- Add all the ingredients, except the spinach and lemon juice, to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about six hours. If your lentils have been in the pantry for a while, you may need to cook for a little while longer.
- You have the option to pour some of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth so that your soup isn't so chunky. If you don't mind all of the ingredients, you don't have to do anything.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice about 15 minutes prior to serving. Ladle the soup into bowls and enjoy. If you have fresh parsley or cilantro in the fridge, chop it up and place it on top of the soup for added freshness.