What a treat it is to be able to enjoy the juicy, colored heirloom tomato varieties that thrive during summer. If you have never eaten an heirloom tomato, do yourself a favor and go get one right now. Seriously, stop reading this, go to the store and buy some, come back, and just bite into them. Heirloom tomatoes offer an intense flavor because they have the same traits as the plants that came before them. They are unaltered because farmers use the same seeds of the same plant for generations.
The sad reality is that it’s rare to see heirloom tomatoes in the average grocery store. This is because they bruise easily and don’t have a long shelf-life. Additionally, they look strange and customers tend to avoid odd-looking produce item when they buy groceries. When you buy heirloom tomatoes, you have to enjoy them within a few days or they will go bad.
For this salad, try your best to seek out multi-colored heirloom tomatoes because they taste amazing and look beautiful. You can also purchase colored tomatoes that are not heirloom if you find them in your store. You can even use regular tomatoes if you can’t find heirloom varieties. The juicy sweetness of heirloom varieties is the perfect balance for the herbaceous, garlicky dressing. It’s a thick dressing, but that’s how it’s supposed to be. We hope you love the salad!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 4 multi-colored heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp. thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes neatly in a shallow dish. Make it pretty!
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the olive oil, thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, garlic, and sea salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Pour this dressing over the tomato slices, cover the dish, and allow them to marinate for one hour in the fridge.
- Remove from the fridge, uncover the dish, and enjoy.