Summer is the season of peaches, so why not turn them into a delicious ice cream? We aren’t talking about ice cream that is filled with high amounts of sugar, dairy, and artificial flavors, though. We are talking about vegan ice cream! This vegan ice cream has subtle hints of cinnamon, which complement the sweetness of the peaches and maple syrup. The coconut milk brings it all together and makes every bite tropical and refreshing.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:6m
- Total Time:21m
- 2 14oz cans of organic coconut milk (chilled overnight)
- 1 c pitted dates
- c boiling water
- 1 tbsp. olive or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 ripe peaches, pitted and roughly chopped (equal to 2½ c)
- juice from half an orange juice
- 1/4 c maple syrup (add the ¼ c and taste to see if you'd like more)
- The night before: pop the cans of coconut milk into the fridge to chill.
- Combine the dates and boiling water in a food processor and let stand about 5 minutes. Process until the dates are as smooth as possible and become light and creamy.
- Combine the oil and cinnamon in a frying pan over low-medium heat. Let the cinnamon bloom in the oil for about a minute. Add the chopped peaches, raise the heat to high-medium and sauté about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Open the coconut milk cans and drain the milk into a bowl; set aside. Save ¼ cup of coconut milk for later. Scoop the thick cream into a large mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Set the bowl aside in the fridge.
- Add the chopped peaches to the dates in the food processor. Add the orange juice and ¼ c of the reserved coconut milk - you might want to store the rest for another recipe. Process until totally combined and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Fold the peach-date mixture into the coconut cream. Fold in the maple syrup; taste and add more if you like. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze 3-4 hours.
- Let the ice cream sit out for about 5-10 minutes to thaw before scooping.