This recipe is about to elevate your chef game! With delicate flavors that create a beautiful dance on your taste buds, these roasted artichokes are delectable and make for the perfect appetizer to a romantic evening.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 50m
- Total Time: 1h 5m
- 2 large artichokes
- 3 large lemons (2 juiced, 1 sliced to yield 4 slices)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 whole garlic cloves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Trim dry stems off the bottoms of the artichokes and remove outer leaves from the bottoms as well. Cut one inch off the top of each artichoke and proceed to cut the artichokes in half from top to bottom.
- Scoop out the fuzzy choke from the center of each artichoke.
- Fill a large bowl or pot with about 2 quarts of water and add the juice of two lemons and the lemon pieces you squeezed. Add the artichoke halves to the water and let them soak for about 10 minutes.
- While the artichokes are in the water, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a baking dish or roasting pan and evenly spread it across the bottom.
- Remove the artichokes from the water and season the cut sides with sea salt and pepper. As you randomly place 3 cloves of garlic in each half, create a small bed of thyme and rosemary sprigs in the baking dish or roasting pan. Place a lemon wedge in the center of each artichoke half and place them cut-side down in the pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the artichokes from the oven and carefully take out the garlic cloves and lemon wedges. Serve with fresh lemon wedges if you desire. Enjoy!