A classic Persian salad consists of tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, onion, and sometimes mint or feta cheese. Who says that you have to remain within the confines of the traditional recipe? Nobody is the answer, in case you were wondering. The beauty of food is that you can take creative control and steer the recipe in the direction you see fit. Turn a classic meat-based recipe into a raw vegan one. Swap out ingredients to fit the mold of your current diet.
One of the greatest things about a Persian salad is that the flavors pop. Each bite is more refreshing than the next, bursting with herbaceous notes and fresh citrusy zing. This recipe differs from the rest, offering more antioxidants and fruity flavors because of the pomegranate arils. The lemony sumac seasoning, assertive red onion, and acidic tomatoes meld with the hydrating cucumbers and and bright pomegranate. Speaking of cucumbers, it’s fitting, best even, to use Persian cucumbers in place of English cucumbers. Persian cucumbers have a crispier texture and more robust flavor, so they are more appropriate for a salad such as this. Speaking of cucumbers, they are underrated when it comes to health benefits. In addition to promote detoxification and hydration, they contain silica, which benefits the skin and nails.
The dressing for this salad is very simple, utilizing fresh lemon juice and olive oil. The rich fatty acid content of the olive oil provide a nice balance to the assertive lemon flavor. In addition to the olive oil, the mint and parsley help calm the storm that is the onion and sumac. Let us know how you like this recipe in the comments below. Do you want to see more recipes like this one? We can only provide them if you give us some feedback!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 4 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. sumac spice
- seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, parsley, and mint to a large serving bowl.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat all of the ingredients.
- Right before serving, sprinkle with sumac and pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!