Enzymes: Not Just for Digestion. The National Institute of Health sites that fruit enzymes like bromelain are proven to be an effective way to assist in treating Sinusitis (sinus inflammation) and inflammation pain. Papain and Bromelain are proteolytic enzymes because they break up biological products like proteins as well as thick mucus. Fruit enzymes that are… usually suggested to aid in digestion (like papain in papaya and bromelain in pineapple) are actually a great allergy/congestion/mucus-clearing aid. It makes sense. And there is a long list of medical references which back the effectiveness of fruit enzymes for Sinusitis.
Try this smoothie if you have eaten too many animal products or if you have allergy or sinus issues.
- 1 c fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 c fresh chopped pineapple
- 1 frozen banana (if raw, use more ice)
- 1/2 c fresh papaya or kiwi
- 1 1/2 c coconut water ice (filtered tap can be used too)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- optional: fresh grated ginger
- Pour OJ and lemon juice into blender.
- Add in frozen banana chunks.
- Add in 3/4 of total ice.
- Add in half the total amount of fresh fruit you will be adding.
- Blend on high until blender begins to run smoothly.
- Add in the agave, remaining fruit, remaining ice and cayenne. (and ginger if using it)
- Blend on low until smoothie is done.
- Garnish with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of cayenne.