You don’t often see the combination of strawberry and pineapple. Why is that? Loaded with vitamin C, these fruits offer refreshing, sweet and tart flavors that cool you down on a hot day. The subtle tartness from the fresh lime juice and sweet agave nectar create a beautiful balance of flavors in this warm weather beverage. If you prefer a tarter flavor profile, you can always omit that agave nectar and enjoy the fruit for all that it has to offer!
What is an agua fresca? The literal translation from Spanish to English is “fresh (cool) water.” Agua frescas are popular throughout Mexico and Latin America. Typically, though, these refreshing drinks are loaded with more sugar than fruit. That’s not the case for this raw vegan rendition, though. After blending the fruit, you strain the blended mixture through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of the pulp. An agua fresca isn’t the same as fruit juice; rather, it is more like a fruit water. Unlike a traditional homemade juice, an agua fresca is the mixture of freshly blended fruit with water, lime, and a bit of sweetener.
This recipe comes together in just a few steps. All you need to do is blend the fruit with about a cup of water until completely smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, using a spatula to press the mixture through to get as much juice out of it as possible. Add the remaining water to the strained mixture, along with the fresh lime juice and agave. Taste and adjust the sweetness as needed. If you want to be fancy, slide some cantaloupe or pineapple cubes onto a toothpick and top your drink with it. You’ll have a small, hydrating snack and a delicious drink to go with it!
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 4 c pineapple, cubed
- 1 1/2 c strawberries, tops removed
- 2 1/2 c filtered water
- 2 tbsp. raw agave nectar
- juice of 1 lime
- Add the pineapple, strawberries, one cup of the water, agave nectar, and lime juice to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture through a fine mesh sieve, pressing the pulp to get as much juice out of it as possible.
- Pour the strained juice into a pitcher and add in the remaining 1.5 cups of water, mixing with long utensil.
- Pour the agua fresca over ice and enjoy, topping with optional fruit slices.