Chickpeas belong to the legume family and have an inherently nutty flavor. They pair well with many flavors and cuisines, and they can easily take on different spices and flavor combinations. Chickpeas contain a lot of protein, fiber, manganese, and folate. Because of the dietary fiber, chickpeas may prevent you from overeating. They help to slow digestion and promote feelings of fullness.
All of those facts are incredible, but that’s not why you clicked on this recipe. You’re here for tacos! We can’t blame you, especially since this recipe is out of this world. The spice rack takes center stage today, folks! There will be no taco seasoning packets the spice up your chickpeas today. We don’t have time for mysterious, processed ingredients in packaged seasoning blends. It’s all about using whole foods and pure spices to make these tacos as flavorful as possible.
You can’t have tacos without toppings, though. This is where you have culinary freedom. We provided several recipes and taco topping options, but feel free to get creative.
For the Chickpeas
- 3 tbsp. olive oil (+ 1 teaspoon)
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 8 whole corn tortillas
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 8 street taco flour tortillas
- radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c cilantro, chopped
- Guacamole (recipe link in notes)
- Cilantro Jalapeno Sauce (recipe link in notes)
For the Chickpeas
- Warm 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan and add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper to the pan. Mix well and cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 5 minutes or so, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and cook for another few minutes before removing from heat.
- One by one, warm the tortillas in a pan and then get ready to assemble your tacos.
- Once again, the toppings you choose are entirely up to you.
- After putting the chickpeas in the tortillas, top with cherry tomatoes, guacamole, or the cilantro cream sauce. You can also add shredded cabbage and more.