Some people say that the pumpkin craze has gotten out of hand. Everyone has an opinion; ours just so happens to be that we love pumpkin. Yes, it’s a squash, but it’s sweet, rich in fiber, and offers a lot of beta-carotene. You don’t necessarily have to use fresh pumpkin, though, as it can give the smoothie a very fibrous, grainy texture. That’s why this smoothie calls for pumpkin puree, which gives the smoothie a luscious texture.
The pumpkin and chai flavor combo maybe one of the best in the business. You can easily make chai seasoning with a few spices that you may already have in the spice cabinet. These are the spices that may not always get the love they deserve, but you have them just for this recipe. You’ll need cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger powder. If you want to add a dash of nutmeg or allspice, that will only enhance the chai flavor.
Although mixing pumpkin puree with the chai spices would be great on its own, you need a few more ingredients to bring the smoothie home. The banana adds sweetness and a creamy base, while the pecans give it the nuttiness that you crave. One could argue that blending the pecans into this smoothie makes it seem like you’re enjoying pumpkin pie filling and the crust. Lastly, you need some alcohol-free vanilla extract, a date, some ice cubes, and unsweetened almond milk for optimum creaminess.
Important Note: Do not buy pumpkin pie filling in the can. You want to buy 100% pure pumpkin puree, which does not contain added sweeteners, flavors, or excess fats. The pumpkin puree is pure pumpkin goodness, and it has a diverse nutritional profile too!
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 1 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1/4 c pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp. pecans, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of cardamom powder
- pinch of ginger powder
- 1 date, pitted
- 1 c ice
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until thoroughly combined. Leave the smoothie blending for about a minute or so because the blender needs time to puree the nuts. You do not want little pieces coming through your straw when you drink it.
- You want a creamy and smooth consistency, so if you need to add a little more almond milk, please do so.
- If you do not want to add ice, because you feel it waters down the flavors, you can omit it. We suggest that you freeze the banana overnight, add it to the blender, and do not worry about adding any ice.
- Enjoy immediately once the blending process is finished.