Sometimes snacking on a raw food diet can be difficult, only because the options seem limited. Now that you have these raw energy bars, you’ll be energized and full throughout the day.
- Prep Time:20m
- Total Time:20m
- 1 1/2 c soft Medjool dates (about 15 or 16), pits removed
- 1/4 c raw almonds
- 1/4 c raw cashews
- 1/4 c cacao powder
- 3 tbsp. raw cacao nibs
- 6 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp. chia or flax seeds
- 2 tsp. maca powder (optional – enhances nutrition)
- 2 tbsp. raw nuts/seeds (your favorite kind)
- 1/4 c unsulfured dried fruit (your favorite kind)
- Grind all ingredients together in a food processor, except for the last 2 tablespoons of nuts/seeds and ¼ cup of dried fruit, until a coarse dough has formed (this process may take a couple minutes). Stop the machine and check the consistency. Pinch the dough between two fingers and make sure it sticks together easily so that your bars don’t end up crumbly. If the dough is too dry, add a tiny amount of water—about ½ teaspoon at a time—and blend again until the desired stickiness is achieved. Add the last 2 tablespoons of nuts/seeds and dried fruit and pulse several times until just coarsely chopped to give the bars a nice texture.
- Place a large sheet of plastic wrap on a flat surface and spill out the dough on top. Gather into a solid mass in the center; then use the sides of the plastic to wrap over the dough as tightly as possible, pressing, pounding, and shaping into a compact 1-inch thick rectangle.
- When solid, remove the wrap and cut into 8 bars. (For extra clean cuts, you can place the bars in the freezer for 30 minutes before cutting.) Wrap and keep in the freezer for long-term storage.