Everything is better with pumpkin spice and colder weather. Pumpkin isn’t going anywhere, folks, and we couldn’t be happier about it! Although this recipe doesn’t contain actual pumpkin, it does enchant the nostrils with its aromatic autumnal scent. Taking a bite out of one of these energy balls is like taking a bite out of fall.
Pumpkin seeds, or pepitas, are flat seeds that have an oval shape. Most people think that they are white because they see them inside pumpkins. In fact, pumpkin seeds exist in a white or yellow casing known as a hull. The actual seed is green and you have to crack the hull to get to the seeds. Pumpkin seeds are rich sources of magnesium, zinc, protein, copper, iron, potassium, and manganese. Even though they are small seeds, they pack a nutritional punch, supporting blood sugar balance, healthy blood pressure levels, and optimal sleep.
The important thing to remember in regards to these energy balls is that you shouldn’t consume them in excess. The combination of walnuts, pecans, and walnuts means that you’ll consume a lot of protein and healthy fats, in addition to a lot of calories. Nuts and seeds are high calorie foods, so it’s best to watch your intake if you are trying to watch your calories. Try to limit your consumption to one or two energy balls at a time. This amount should be enough to fill you up until your next meal.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 1 c Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 c raw pecans
- 1/2 c raw walnuts
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and process until you get a dough-like consistency.
- You may have to stop blending, scrape down the sides, and continue blending in order to achieve the smooth texture.
- Line a baking sheet or a container with parchment paper.
- Wet your hands and start rolling the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls, placing each one on the parchment paper to avoid sticking.
- Refrigerate the energy balls for about one hour, or until they are firm. Enjoy when ready.
- Leftover energy balls will keep fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.