Is it possible to dedicate a recipe to a musical artist? If yes, then we dedicate this recipe to the incredibly talented Prince, who passed away almost six years ago to the day. He was a gifted soul who graced us with all with his beautiful music. The beauty of music is that you get to know an artist on a personal level without ever meeting them. Prince’s music lives on and we wanted to celebrate him in a raw vegan way with this purple cauliflower hummus.
Purple cauliflower is not a hybrid food. In fact, there are several colors of cauliflower, including the traditional white, orange, green, and the vibrant purple. You can attribute the striking purple color to the presence of anthocyanin, a powerful antioxidant that may help prevent heart disease. Several studies show that anthocyanin may also lower inflammatory markers. Additionally, purple cauliflower contains glucoraphanin, a compound that the body converts to compounds with anti-cancer properties. You can also find glucoraphanin in green broccoli. Other than the high anthocyanin content, purple cauliflower is nearly identical to regular cauliflower in regards to the nutritional profile.
Purple cauliflower exhibits a sweeter flavor profile than traditional white cauliflower. This works in your favor, as the sweeter flavor balances the lemon, garlic, pepper, and nutty tahini. In addition to celebrating Prince’s legacy, you can also get a head start on celebrating Earth Day, April 22nd. There’s no better way to celebrate the Earth than by enjoying the bounty of fresh produce it has to offer. If you make this recipe, let us know how you like it!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 1 large head purple cauliflower
- 1/3 c raw tahini
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Tear the cauliflower head into florets and add them to a food processor. Blend the cauliflower roughly so that you have room to add the rest of the ingredients.
- Once you add the remaining ingredients to the food processor, blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Spoon the cauliflower into a bowl and serve with vegetable sticks or raw dehydrated crackers that you make yourself. You can peruse our site for some recipes.