There’s nothing like a good burger, and that’s exactly what this filling vegan entree is. If you are feeling extra zesty, make a quick salsa by dicing up tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, and squeezing lime juice over it. Add it to the burger to open a portal to another flavor dimension with every bite.
For the Burgers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15oz) can cooked black beans, drained
- 5 1/2 c cooked quinoa
- 1/2 c shredded vegan cheese
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 flax eggs, beaten (recipe in Instructions)
- 1 c Panko breadcrumbs
- 6 burger buns
- lettuce leaves
- tomato slices
- 1 avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
For the Flax Eggs
- Combine 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons of warm water. Whisk for a minute or so and set aside. This will thicken to help bind the burger patties.
For the Burgers
- Add about a teaspoon of olive oil to a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl.
- Combine the quinoa and beans in a large food processor and pulse until well blended. Add this to the bowl with the onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Stir in the vegan cheese, taco seasoning, and paprika. Mix until combined and add in the flax eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix well and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Form into patties and place the patties in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to help them stay together during the cooking process.
- Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and place the burgers in the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes per side.
- When the burgers are sufficiently browned on both sides, remove from the pan and begin assembling your burgers however you like.
I made these with gluten free breadcrumbs. For those of you who are gluten free and don’t want to spring for the boxed gluten free breadcrumbs (I don’t) you can easily make your own. Just take a few slices of gluten free bread and process them in a food processor until crumbs form. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil and process again. Heat a skillet to medium high and add the crumbs. (They should sizzle.) Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 8 minutes. Store in the freezer.