When it comes to treating yourself to desserts on the raw vegan diet, many people think it’s impossible. Well, friends, we love the sweets and a no diet will get in the way of indulging in them. You simply have to find ways to make the diet work for you. For this chocolate mousse recipe, we use the creamy combo of avocado and banana. The banana, maple syrup, vanilla, and chocolate completely mask the avocado’s flavor, so don’t be afraid. This isn’t simply chocolate guacamole; rather, this is a chocolaty gift from the raw vegan culinary pros.
When you decide to make this mousse, it’s very important to use a ripe avocado. You don’t want to use an underripe avocado because it isn’t as creamy and doesn’t mash as easy. It also has a more assertive, bitter flavor that doesn’t cater to your mousse. The cacao can be quite intense, especially for those who are not used to the bitter chocolate flavor. There are no added sweeteners, which is why this recipe incorporates bananas and grade A maple syrup. If you need the mousse to be a little sweeter, simply add maple syrup little by little until you reach your desired level of sweetness.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp. grade A maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Place the avocado and banana into a medium-sized mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher. Make sure there are no large chunks.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- If you do not want to mash everything, you can add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spoon the mousse into a bowl and top with optional berries. Enjoy!