Didn’t think that it was possible to have a cinnamon bun while on a raw food diet? Well, these aren’t like the ones you are used to, but they are full of nutritious ingredients that actually offer you a protein boost.
Photo Credit: Rawified
- Prep Time:20m
- Total Time:20m
For the "Dough"
- 1 c raw almonds or pecans
- 1/2 c raw flaxseed
- 1/4 c agave
For the Filling
- 1/2 c dates, unsulfured
- 1/4 c water
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. organic, unfiltered coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. raisins (unsulfured)
- 2 tbsp. chopped raw pecans or walnuts (optional)
- In a coffee or spice grinder, grind flaxseeds to a fine powder. Add this into your food processor, and blend with nuts until a flour like consistency is formed. Spoon in the agave and process into a workable dough - adding water if needed.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, and place between two large sheets of wax paper. Using a rolling pin, flatten into a large square (about 8x8 to 9x9 inches). Peel off top layer of wax paper, and set aside.
- To make the filling, puree dates, water, cinnamon, coconut oil, and sea salt into a thick paste. Spread this evenly over your dough, and sprinkle with raisins and chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Next, you\'re going to roll your dough into a tight cylinder, as if you were making sushi and the wax paper were the mat. Place your roll in the fridge to set for about a half hour, then remove and cut into eight equal pieces.