If you have tip-toeing around the idea of trying beets, this is the beet recipe for you. The bright citrus flavors complement the inherent sweetness of the beets and the result is a rustic yet refreshing salad.
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- 3 medium to large beets, peeled and trimmed*
- 1 orange with zest
- 1 small lemon with zest
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 c chives, minced
- Shred beets and add to bowl. Add the zest and juice from entire orange and the lemon. You can add less lemon juice first and see if you like the vibrant citrus flavor.
- Add olive oil and sea salt to taste and toss to combine.
- Add chives just before serving.
- *Note: The grated beets can be dressed and kept in the refrigerator, covered well, for a couple of days. They become more tender but don’t lose their texture, and the mixture becomes even sweeter as the beet juices mingle with the citrus. Toss again before serving.