Get ready for the spice because there’s no stopping it with this sauce. It’s an amazing hot sauce recipe that is completely raw vegan. It’ll light your fire and possibly cause some panting. It serves as a tasty condiment, but you can also use it as a dip for raw vegetable sticks or dehydrated zucchini/kale chips.
This sauce looks similar to a classic salsa verde (green salsa), and it’s just as hot and tasty. You can control the spice level by adding more or using fewer peppers. The number of peppers you use may also depend on their size and variety. For example, you may only need 6 larger jalapeños, but 10 smaller jalapeños may be necessary to yield the amount of sauce you desire. If you decide to use serrano peppers or habanero peppers, you’ll have to judge how many you want to include in the sauce. Be careful with hotter peppers! Additionally, you can remove the seeds to tame the spice level if you want to use peppers that have a higher Scoville rating.
The Scoville scale is a measurement of the pungency or heat of a chili pepper. Scoville Heat Units (SHU) are based on the concentration of capsaicinoids in the pepper. A pepper’s Scoville rating is based on dry mass and chili peppers can range in pungency in worldly cuisines. The heat rating goes from 100 or less (sweet peppers) to over three million (Pepper X). The spiciest chilis rank higher than one million Scoville units and may induce sweating, panting, or possible heartburn or digestive discomfort. This is all knowledge for you to have as you go forth and blend this raw hot sauce into existence.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 10 -15 chili peppers of your choice, de-stemmed
- 1 c raw apple cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp. lime zest
- De-stem and roughly chop the peppers. Keep the seeds if you want a hotter sauce, or remove them for a milder sauce.
- Add the chopped peppers and the rest of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Pour into an airtight glass jar and store in the fridge. Consume within one week.