A raw food diet doesn’t have to be boring. In fact, there are lots of things you can make, for example, these raw tacos! The nuts give the “chorizo” a texture similar to meat and the fresh salsa with avocados, along with the crunch of the lettuce, make every bite a flavor party in your mouth.
- Prep Time:20m
- Total Time:20m
- 7 romaine lettuce leaves (or 3-4 large romaine lettuce leaves)
For the Raw Chorizo
- 1/3 c sunflower seeds, pre-soaked
- 1/4 c Brazil nuts
- 2 tbsp. walnuts
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes (dried and not in the oil)
- 1 tbsp. diced red onion
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
For the Salsa
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp. diced red onion
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
For the Toppings
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- A few drizzles of fresh lemon juice (optional)
- To make the Chorizo: Soak the sunflower seeds in warm water for about half an hour. During this time, get the other ingredients ready. Peel the garlic and dice the onions. Also, wash the romaine lettuce leaves well so that there’s no dirt on it.
- Add everything for the vegan chorizo into the blender, including the soaked sunflower seeds, as well as Brazil nuts, walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, diced onion, nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, extra virgin olive oil, garlic clove, dried oregano, sea salt, cumin, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. Blend until most of it is smooth, you don’t have to have it completely smooth. Sometimes it’s nice to have some crunch. You may like to keep it totally smooth, or not smooth at all. This is completely up to you! When it’s done, spoon the chorizo into a small bowl and set it aside.
- To Make the Salsa: Peel the onion and wash the tomato, then dice both into small cubes and put it in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper into that bowl, and give it a good stir to mix everything in. Set that aside as well.
- To Make the Taco: Chop the avocado in half, then remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out and chop it sideways into small slices. Have the romaine lettuce leaf ready. If you’re using a very large leaf, you will need to cut it sideways, in half, or in thirds; be sure that you cut off the very hard stems. Spoon some chorizo, salsa, and two slices of avocado in the center of the lettuce leaf. Finally, sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper to taste, and a bit of lemon juice on the avocado if desired.