A creamy, fruity pudding that is filled with fiber, protein, and healthy fats is an excellent breakfast item for anyone, regardless of dietary status. Vegan pudding, especially raw vegan pudding, can be tricky. Fortunately, you can easily whip up a batch of chia pudding, which exhibits a similar texture to tapioca pudding. Chia seeds bloom in liquid to create a tapioca-like consistency. Plus, eating homemade chia pudding is way healthier than opening up a sugary yogurt or pudding from the store.
How does chia pudding really come to be? Well, chia seeds have an outer coating that turns gel-like after being activated by moisture. Because of that cool feature, you can make chia pudding or jam. All you need to do is refrigerate the pudding for about one hour after blending everything together. The blending process actually accelerates the transition from liquid to pudding. It’s just better to enjoy it cold!
Unlike regular chia pudding, which is just liquid, chia seeds, and sweetener, this recipe blends the mango with the pudding. That creates a tropical feel and adds an element of fruity sweetness to the pudding. Because you’re using fresh fruit in the pudding, you want to consume it within two days of making it. Ideally, consume it the same day or the following day. The homemade almond milk also has a limited shelf-life, so make sure to enjoy this pudding quickly. You don’t want to put it in the fridge to set, grab it three days later, and have it taste spoiled!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:11m
- 1 1/2 c homemade almond milk
- 2 tbsp. grade A maple syrup
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 c chia seeds
- 1 large mango, peeled and pitted
- extra mango for topping (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and sea salt.
- While whisking, pour in the chia seeds slowly so as to avoid big clumps of chia seeds.
- Pour this chia mixture into a blender and add the mango. Blend until smooth and then transfer to a couple jars. Place in the fridge for at least an hour and then remove from the fridge to enjoy.