We are almost positive that you have seen some of our raw taco “meat” recipes, made from a combination of nuts, seeds, and seasonings. Some people have nut allergies, though, and need other “meaty” options. Mushrooms absorb flavors well and have an inherent meaty texture. Plus, they are great natural sources of vitamin D!
- Prep Time: 10m
- Total Time: 10m
For the Mushroom Meat
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 5 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 pack of white button mushrooms finely chopped
For the Tacos
- Mango Guacamole, for topping
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves to replace the taco shells
- Add all of the Mushroom Meat ingredients, except for the mushrooms, to a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the mushrooms in the bowl and mix to evenly coat the mushroom pieces in the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are marinating in the fridge, prepare the guacamole as per the instructions on that recipe page.
- Remove the mushroom meat from the fridge and drain the liquid. Evenly disperse the mushroom meat in the lettuce leaves and top with your desired amount of guacamole. You can even add fresh tomatoes as an acidic topping.