Cheese is one of the hardest foods to give up when transitioning to a vegan or dairy-free lifestyle. It has an addictive quality, but it also is at the root of a lot of mucus accumulation and inflammation in the body. Eating cheese in excess can increase the risk of bloating and digestive discomfort. Fortunately, food manufacturers and chefs are evolving with the shift towards non-dairy products. One of the primary, non-dairy culinary creations is cheese.
In the case of this recipe, the almonds, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, sea salt, and water make a lovely spreadable “cheese.” The tangy zest from lemon mixed with the sea salt make sit reminiscent of feta cheese. The only difference is that this feta “cheese” is cow-free, goat-free, and sheep-free. So it’s not technically cheese, but “almond feta cheese” sounds more appealing than “tangy garlicky almond spread.”
This almond feta is a great addition to any raw vegan wrap. You can also use it as a dip for carrot, celery, or bell pepper sticks and broccoli florets. It’s even possible to make a raw vegan Greek salad and use this as the feta replacement. Just be sure to make your own dressing and avoid olives if you’re cleansing.
Note: You’ll notice that the recipe yields about two cups, which amounts to about 20 servings. The serving count is high because it is a high-calorie dish. Just remember to keep portions in mind when enjoying this feta “cheese.”
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 1 1/3 c raw almonds
- 1/3 c freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 c water (+ 4 tsp)
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- You may need to stop blending, scrape down the sides of the processor bowl, and continue blending to ensure a smooth consistency.
- If the mixture is too thick, add one teaspoon of water at a time until you reach your desired consistency. It should be a little chunky like feta cheese.
- Spoon into a bowl, cover, and place in the fridge to firm up for a couple hours.
- Remove when ready and enjoy.