What is aioli, anyway? Is aioli just a fancier form of mayonnaise, or is it something else entirely? You’ve seen aioli on restaurant menus and, if you’re like us, you get very excited. You know that it’s going to be creamy, rich, and delicious, but what is it? Aioli sounds quite regal, but it is similar to mayonnaise in that it is also an emulsion. An emulsion is essentially mixing two substances that don’t want to be together. For example, mixing an oil with a water-based substance.
This aioli veers from the traditional definition of an aioli in that it doesn’t contain oil. This aioli is completely raw vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and oil-free. It is highly addictive and you can serve it as a dip, spread or sauce. You can even brighten up a boring salad by using a few tablespoons as a dressing. Let your taste buds guide you won’t be disappointed.
All you need to make this aioli is a food processor, but a high-speed blender will work as well. Because the spread is quite thick, a food processor will get the job done in a matter of seconds. Alternatively, you can add the ingredients to a bowl or tall mixing vessel and blend the ingredients with an immersion blender. This is a great way to ensure your aioli is light and fluffy. We hope you enjoy it!
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- Serves: 6 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Dips & Spreads, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. filtered water
- 1 tbsp. basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Stop blending to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl to fully incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Once the aioli is blended to your desired creaminess, taste and adjust sea salt and pepper according to your liking. If it is too thick, add a touch more water and blend.
- Serve it as a dip or a spread. Enjoy!