While the summer heat isn’t officially here, we can already feel it coming in Southern California. The days are longer and temperatures are rising, which means that a refreshing beverage is in order. There’s no better way to cool off on a hot day than enjoying a cool slushie. We aren’t talking about sugar-filled slushies that you dispense from a machine; rather, we are talking about homemade, slushies made with minimal ingredients. That’s exactly what this recipe is.
The great thing about this cantaloupe slushie is that it is great for both adults and children. Bring them to a picnic, enjoy them by the pool, or cool off indoors after doing some yard work. These slushies are great birthday party treats as well, and you can modify them based on the ingredients you have available to you. For example, you can swap out the cantaloupe for honeydew or watermelon and they will be equally delicious.
When it comes to making these slushies, you have to cube and freeze the cantaloupe before you blend it. The best way to do this is to cube the cantaloupe and place the cubes on baking sheets lined with parchment paper to avoid sticking. Place the sheets in the freezer and then remove once the cantaloupe cubes are completely frozen. At that point, whip out the blender and start the blending process with the other ingredients. If you are not a fan of sweeter beverages, you can omit the agave nectar because the cantaloupe is naturally sweet.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 9 c cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 tbsp. raw agave nectar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 c filtered water
- Remove the frozen cantaloupe chunks from the freezer and let them sit at room temperature for about five minutes to defrost a little.
- Add the cubes to a blender along with the agave, lime juice, and water. Pulse the blender until the melon chunks start to break up a little.
- Blend the ingredients until they turn into a thick slushie. Taste and adjust the slushie and add more lime juice, water, or agave if necessary.
- Divide the slushie equally into four glasses and enjoy.