If you love to snack or graze on snackable items, we welcome you to the family. Certain people prefer three designated meals a day, and that is perfectly acceptable. Others also like to have designated meals, but they enjoy some snack time between meals. Snacks don’t have to be unhealthy or devoid of nutrients; rather they can be like this raw vegan cashew Boursin cheese, which is made with five simple ingredients. Enjoy it with celery, carrot, or bell pepper sticks while you cleanse!
Boursin cheese is a soft, creamy cheese that you can usually find in most grocery stores. It is spreadable and comes in many flavors. The texture is akin to cream cheese and the first Boursin flavor, Garlic and Fine Herbs, was created in 1957. Francois Boursin, the man behind this cheese invention, was the first person to flavor a cheese product. Boursin cheese is a product, but this recipe is like the raw vegan copycat version. It only requires raw cashews, homemade almond milk, lemon juice, garlic powder, and fresh herbs.
Because you want this “cheese” to be as spreadable as possible, you have to soak the cashews in warm water for about 15 minutes before you blend the ingredients. The cashews will soften and be ready for blending because of this extra step. You can use a high-speed blender, but a food processor will yield a smoother consistency. After blending, spoon the mixture into a small bowl and fold in the freshly chopped herbs. At this point, you can serve the Boursin cheese with fresh vegetables and store leftovers in a container in the fridge for up to three days.
- Prep Time:20m
- Total Time:20m
- 1 c raw cashews
- 3 1/2 tbsp. homemade almond milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. chopped herbs (such as chives, parsley, and rosemary)
- Place the cashews in a bowl and pour about 2 cups of hot water over them. Allow them to soak for 15-20 minutes before draining the water and rinsing the cashews.
- Add the soaked cashews to a food processor along with the almond milk, lemon juice, garlic powder and sea salt. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Spoon the mixture into a small bowl and then add the chopped herbs. Mix the herbs into the blended cashew mixture, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a couple hours, or until firm.
- Remove from the fridge and enjoy with fresh vegetables. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.