Raw vegan recipes continue to evolve and become more delicious with the popularity of healthier diets. In the case of this recipe, hearts of palm take the place of raw fish. A classic ceviche consists of fish, red onion, lime juice, salt, pepper, and other additions like jalapeño, tomato, cilantro, or avocado. There isn’t a right or wrong way to make it! Once you make this recipe, however, you won’t crave seafood at all. The dulse flakes convince your taste buds that they are experiencing a fresh, seafood meal. Additionally, the refreshing, bright flavors of red onion and lime juice create that signature acidic flavor combination from a classic ceviche.
People are familiar with hearts of palm, but they don’t often purchase them in their raw form. Canned varieties exist, but we’re not about that canned food life. Get back to freshness, people! One thing to keep in mind about raw hearts of palm is that you have to remove the outer layers. The inner part of the palm is the most tender, which is exactly what you want. Plus, they are rich in copper, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and numerous antioxidants. Antioxidants help to fight oxidative stress in the body, which can contribute to early signs of aging or more serious conditions like heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- Prep Time:20m
- Total Time:20m
- 2 c raw hearts of palm, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 c red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 pinch dulse flakes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Make sure to remove the outer layer of the hearts of palm so that you have a more pleasant eating experience. Then you can slice them into thin rounds, or you can chop them up.
- Add the chopped up hearts of palm, avocado, and mango to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes so the flavors can get to know each other.
- Remove from the fridge, plate, and enjoy.