There are so many products that we fail to recognize as unhealthy. It’s hard to see the truth when you’re conditioned to a certain way of eating. Onion dip is one of those products that many people consume, but it’s incredibly unhealthy. Most popular varieties that come in a jar contain corn starch, monosodium glutamate, artificial colors and flavors, xanthum gum, datem, added sugars, whey protein concentrate, and hydrogenated oils. In case you are not aware, all of those ingredients are not healthy. In fact, many of them can increase the risk plaque build-up in the arteries, headaches, and more.
When you get more familiar with plant-based foods, you learn how to make healthier versions of recipes you know and love. This dip is a better, healthier version of a classic French Onion dip. The base is macadamia nuts, which are replete with monounsaturated fats that may improve heart healthy by lowering cholesterol levels. macadamia nuts also contain fiber, magnesium, manganese, thiamine, iron, and copper. The only downside is that that, like many nuts and seeds, they are rich in calories, so don’t eat this entire dip by yourself. Instead, make it for a group of people to enjoy so that you don’t pack on the calories. Lastly, if you feel like adding fresh chives to the top of the dip for beautiful presentation, go for it!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 8 servings
- Yield: 2 cups
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Dips & Spreads, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 2 c raw macadamia nuts
- 3/4 - 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 c onion, diced
- Soak the raw macadamia nuts in water for 2 hours. Strain the water out and add them to a food processor.
- Pour the water, sea salt, minced garlic, and chopped onions into the processor and blend everything until smooth and creamy. You may need to stop blending, scrape down the sides of the processor bowl, and continue blending to yield a creamy mixture.
- You can always add a little more water if the dip is too thick for your liking.
- Spoon the dip into a bowl and enjoy with raw carrot or celery sticks.
- Store any leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.