Persimmons are the unsung heroes of fall produce items. They don’t receive a lot of attention because they aren’t common ingredients in Western diets. They have been growing in China for thousands of years and while hundreds of varieties exist, the most common types are Fuyu and Hachiya. It’s imperative to pick ripe persimmons because unripened ones have a bitter taste, due to the tannins.
If you don’t eat persimmons, this raw vegan persimmon pudding is a great introduction to them. The sweetness of the banana brings out their sweetness. The only thing you need to do is remove the black seed in the center and peel the fruit. The skin is similar to tomato skin, but you don’t want to eat it; trust us on that one.
- Prep Time: 5m
- 5 ripe persimmons, peeled and seeded
- 2 bananas, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Please make sure that you remove the peel and black seeds from the persimmons prior to blending.
- Spoon the pudding into two separate bowls, sprinkle a little nutmeg or cinnamon on top, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This will help the pudding set.
- Remove the pudding from the fridge and enjoy.