Easy to make and naturally sweet, persimmon sorbet is the perfect fall treat. Using a handful of simple ingredients, this sorbet is both delicious and nutritious. The best part is that this sorbet quickly comes together in your food processor or blender. It all starts with freezing your persimmons, which are easy to work with because they typically have little to no seeds. Remove the tops, peel them if you choose, cut them into pieces, place the pieces on parchment paper, and freeze overnight. You can then place them in freezer bags or an airtight container until ready to use.
There are two primary types of persimmon: Fuyu and Hachiya. Although Fuyu persimmons contain tannins, they are not astringent, unlike Hachiya persimmons, which are rounder and crisper. You can enjoy persimmons raw, dried, or cooked. In fact, they are commonly worked into pies, jellies, drinks, and puddings. In the raw vegan world, you can typically see them in salads, smoothies, or puddings. Persimmons are jam-packed with nutrients, including vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6, and other minerals like potassium, manganese, and copper.
For this recipe, you may want to choose ripe Hachiya persimmons, which are round and dark orange to red-orange. They look similar to tomatoes and are best when very ripe and soft. They are bitter when underripe, so make sure that you choose the ripe ones. If you use Fuyu persimmons, choose ones that are lighter in color and a firmer texture. That is when they taste the best!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 1 c Hachiya persimmon, cubed and frozen overnight
- 1/2 c freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 c ice
- 1 tsp. alcohol vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. raw agave nectar
- 1 tsp. orange zest (optional)
- Wash and slice the persimmon, place the pieces on a parchment paper-lined tray, and freeze overnight.
- When ready to make the sorbet, add the frozen persimmon pieces, orange juice, ice cubes, vanilla, agave, and orange zest (optional) to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into a bowl and enjoy immediately. Alternatively, spoon the blended mixture into a freezer-safe container. Place in the freezer until firm, remove from the freezer, spoon into a bowl and enjoy.