Get in the fall spirit by embracing one of the best seasonal ingredients: the pumpkin. Although it’s common to cook pumpkin and blend it into a comforting soup, you can enjoy pumpkin in its raw form. You won’t be crunching on it like an apple, for example, but you can blend it into a pudding, ice cream, or smoothie.
When it comes to using raw pumpkin, it’s best to use pie pumpkins, which are much smaller and sweeter than the larger varieties people carve. If you don’t see pie pumpkins, look out for their other names, which are sugar pumpkins or sweet pumpkins. Larger pumpkins have a higher water content and stringy flesh. That texture does not lend itself to a smooth, luxurious raw pudding.
The goal of this pudding is to make it taste like pumpkin pie filling. It may seem odd to add the banana and avocado, but they help to achieve that signature creamy consistency. They also help to fill you up, so you won’t overeat dessert. Lastly, make sure to use a food processor for this recipe, as raw pumpkin may be too much for the average blender. If you have a Vitamix or similar blender, you may be able to achieve the texture you want, but a food processor makes it much quicker and easier.
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 c raw pumpkin, chopped and peeled
- 1/4 c raw almond butter
- 3 1/2 tbsp. grade A maple syrup
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Add the cubed pumpkin to the food processor and blend until you get a puree-like consistency.
- Stop blending, scrape down the sides, and add the rest of the ingredients to the processor. Process for about two minutes, or until you have a smooth consistency. Stop blending and scrape down the sides of the processor as needed.
- Spoon the pudding into four separate jars, screw on the tops, and refrigerate for about two hours before serving. This will help thicken the pudding.
- Remove from the fridge and sprinkle the top with a little cinnamon powder, if you so desire. Enjoy!