- 1/2 head of organic red cabbage
- 2 bunches of flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped finely
- Juice of 2 lemons, or more to taste
- 1/2 c extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, or more to taste
- 8 spring (green) onions, white and green parts, chopped finely
- cracked pepper and Celtic sea salt for seasoning.
- Cut your cabbage into pieces and place in batches in your food processor, and pulse quickly just a few times, until chopped roughly. Don't process too much or your cabbage will be like rice.
- Toss the cabbage, parsley, and onions with olive oil and lemon, and season to taste. It is that easy. I have put the quantities as a rough guide – I probably use a LOT more olive oil and lemon juice. You might like less.
- This is a very basic salad – which is what I love about it. But feel free to experiment, and jazz it up with some olives or garbanzo beans – just for a couple of ideas that have worked well for me.
How To Pick The Best Cabbage
Pick cabbage heads that are firm and dense with a rich vibrant colour. These cabbages have the highest nutritional content. Try not to buy cabbages that have been halved or quartered, as they start to lose their nutritional density as soon as they are cut. The outer leaves should not be loose, should still be attached to the stem, and be free from bruising and discolouration. Just like all other vegetables, try to source organic local produce wherever possible.