You may never have thought to roast cabbage, but it is a classic Irish that is low in carbs, ketogenic, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. You can vary the amount of lemon, depending on how much you like a vibrant, citrusy dish.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 35m
- 1 medium-sized head of green cabbage
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- generous amount of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F. Spread a little olive oil on a roasting pan.
- Cut the head of cabbage into 8 same-size wedges, cutting through the core and stem end. Then carefully trim the core strip and stem from each wedge and arrange wedges in a single layer on the roasting pan (leave some space around them as much as you can.)
- Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice (use a larger amount of lemon juice if you like a lot of lemon). Then use a pastry brush to brush the top sides of each cabbage wedge with the lemon mixture and season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Turn cabbage wedges carefully, then brush the second side with more mixture and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast cabbage for about 15 minutes, or until the side touching the pan is nicely browned. Then turn each wedge carefully and roast 10-15 minutes more, until the cabbage is nicely browned and cooked through with a bit of chewiness remaining. Serve hot, with additional lemon slices to squeeze lemon juice on at the table if desired.