A recipe doesn’t have to have a long list of ingredients to be an incredible tasty creation. Some of our favorite recipes require five ingredients or less. In the case of this recipe, the ingredients are: cauliflower, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and sage leaves. It’s the perfect meaty entree for anyone who wants to enjoy a vegan dinner. The simplicity reminds us of an important rule about eating vegetarian: texture matters.
Whether you realize it or not, texture is one of the most important elements of a dish. If you can achieve the perfect balance of texture and flavor, you win at life. Most people are unaware of what a cauliflower steak is. It’s not a steak made out of cauliflower; rather, it is the cauliflower itself. You cut a head of cauliflower into thick “steaks” to either cook in a pan, roast in the oven, or char on a grill. This recipe calls for a cast iron skillet, but a regular frying pan will work just fine. The cast iron skillet, however, makes the exterior beautifully crispy, keeping the inside succulent and beautiful.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:10m
- Total Time:20m
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- Slice the head of cauliflower to create steaks. Make sure to cut from the top down in order to prevent the steaks from falling apart.
- Season the steaks with olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and sage.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the cauliflower in the pan.
- Sear the cauliflower for three to four minutes per side, or until deeply golden.
- Serve and enjoy. These pair nicely with freshly squeezed lemon juice and tahini.