There’s something about a homemade BBQ sauce that just elevates a meal. This healthy take on a BBQ classic is truly a unique recipe that will definitely become a featured meal at the dinner table.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:45m
- Total Time:1h
For the Sandwiches
- 5 large carrots – peeled and shredded
- 1 large red onion – peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. of olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 c purple cabbage, thinly sliced
For the BBQ Sauce
- 1 c organic tomato sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dark molasses
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (see note in instructions)
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 pepper in adobo sauce, seeded
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 385°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper you can grease it with a little olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Shred the carrots with the shredder attachment of your food processor or with a box or hand held grater.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Put the carrots and onion in the baking pan and drizzle the olive oil over them. Toss well to coat and then spread them evenly in the pan. Sprinkle freshly ground pepper and sea salt evenly over the top. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast for thirty minutes. Shake the pan every ten minutes to ensure that they’re evenly roasted. The carrots and onions should be nice and soft and lightly caramelized.
- NOTE: If you are sensitive to spicy food, blend the BBQ sauce without the cayenne pepper first, then add it slowly until you find the heat that\'s good for you.
- While the carrots and onions are roasting put the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until fully combined and smooth. Pour into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cook for twenty minutes, stir occasionally to avoid scorching the sauce.
- Add the roasted carrots and onions to the sauce and stir well to coat. Simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Add to your favorite buns and top with freshly sliced purple cabbage. Enjoy!