It’s not every day that you see raw beets in a salad. Most people don’t realize that this is even a possibility! Well, it is if you prepare them the right way. Shredding the beets keeps them crunchy, but it helps to make them soft enough to enjoy without cooking them. When working with beets, keep in mind that they stain everything. They stain your hands, cutting boards, and clothing, so don’t make this recipe with items you care about.
This recipe is truly refreshing, crunchy, and filled with bright flavors. The great thing about this salad is that you don’t have to eat it all in one sitting. Because beets and carrots are firm, they can handle being dressed for a day without wilting. Just make sure that you eat it the next day or it will go bad.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Total Time: 15m
- 1 medium beet, peeled and shredded
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 c flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 c raw pumpkin seeds
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- Add the shredded beets, carrots, parsley, and pumpkin seeds to a large mixing bowl. Give this a gentle mix to combine the ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt.
- Pour this dressing over the salad and toss to evenly coat all the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve and enjoy.