Even if you don’t adhere to a vegan diet, knowing how to make a great bowl of oatmeal is a skill you should have. The sad reality is that many people rely on sugary packets of flavored oatmeals. In reality, those little packets are not really oatmeal; rather, they are concoctions of sugar and processed ingredients. Oatmeal doesn’t have to be a bowl of sugar, but it doesn’t have to be a bland bowl of fiber either.
Oatmeal is a fiber-rich breakfast option that helps you sustain energy until your next meal. The nutritional content may vary depending on what you add to your bowl of oats. This recipe, for example, contains a mixture of rolled oats, cinnamon, banana, chia seeds, and the non-dairy milk of your choice. You can incorporate other nourishing ingredients like almond butter or peanut butter, fresh banana slices, blueberries, and chopped almonds as toppings.
The great thing about this nutritious breakfast bowl is that you don’t have to add additional sweetener like agave or maple syrup. The mashed banana that you incorporate into the oatmeal provides natural sweetness. Just make sure the banana is nice and yellow with some brown spots because that will lend a sweeter flavor to the oatmeal. Lastly, no matter what non-dairy milk you decide to use, make sure that it is unsweetened. Almond milk and oat milk work great in this recipe, but you can use cashew milk or macadamia nut milk if you prefer those options.
For the Oatmeal
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 c filtered water
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 2 tbsp. almonds, chopped
- banana slices
- chia seeds
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir the ingredients and mash the banana with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Cook the ingredients for about eight to 10 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Make sure that you stir the oatmeal frequently to avoid burning.
- Once you finish cooking the oatmeal, check the consistency and add a little more non-dairy milk if you want it a little creamier.
- Spoon the oatmeal into a bowl and add your desired toppings. Enjoy!