Looking for an easy fall-inspired spread that you can easily make in a slow cooker? Well, you just found your recipe! This homemade pumpkin butter warming, spiced, and made with seven simple ingredients, including pumpkin pie spice, 100% pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and more. Just like apple butter, pumpkin butter has a rich, creamy, and subtly tangy flavor is complemented by sugars.
Regarding the nutritional flavor profile, this is not the healthiest thing on the planet to consume. It is, however, homemade and free of artificial flavors and ultra-processed ingredients. Canned pumpkin puree is an excellent source of fiber and vitamin A, but make sure to buy that instead of pumpkin pie filling. One cup of cooked pumpkin, for example, contains about 49 calories, 12 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, and 7 grams of sugar. It also contains vitamins C & E, potassium, and iron.
Even though this homemade pumpkin butter calls for a specific amount of sugar, you can opt for less if you want to watch your sugar intake. Because this recipe cooks in the slow cooker, the flavors will infuse beautifully and it will still spread like a luxurious, soft butter once it cools. You can also add other nutritious ingredients like chia seeds or raw nut butter, but that may affect the spreadability and texture of the pumpkin butter.
- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:3h
- Total Time:3h 5m
- 24 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c apple cider
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Pour all of the ingredients into a slow cooker and mix until smooth. Cover and cook on high for two to three hours, uncovering to stir every hour.
- When you reach the desired consistency, turn off the slow cooker and transfer to separate jars. Allow to cool before you place the pumpkin butter in the refrigerator.
- You can freeze to keep fresh for longer if you are not going to eat the pumpkin butter right away. Enjoy!