- 8 medium ripe tomatoes seeded and cut into quarters
- 1 large sweet red pepper cut into large chunks
- 2 oz can organic diced tomatoes including the juice
- 2 c organic yellow/brown onion (about 2 medium)
- 2 c vegetable stock / broth (I use Massel vegetable stock cubes)
- 1 c shredded carrot or carrot pulp leftover from juicing
- 1 c shredded broccoli stalks / broccoli slaw
- 1 c shredded zucchini
- 1 c firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 c sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 c cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Toss the sweet pepper and tomato with the ¼ cup olive oil and tsp of salt.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for about an hour.
- Give them a good toss a couple of times during the cooking time to get an even roast.
- In a large pot sauté the onions, garlic in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a ½ tsp of sea salt for about 10 minutes until just translucent.
- Add in the carrots, broccoli and zucchini and sauté for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, roasted tomatoes and peppers and their juices, the vegetable broth, fresh basil, and sundried tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the flavours have had time to infuse.
- Allow to cool.
- Then puree in batches in your high speed blender (I use a Vitamix) until smooth.
- Enjoy over pasta, zuchini noodles or vegetables. YUMMO!
- Makes 10 cups of tomato sauce