A coleslaw recipe that doesn’t contain mayonnaise is a gift from the gods of flavor and health. The health benefits from cabbage, carrots, or whatever else is in your coleslaw zero out when you smother them in mayonnaise. It’s so unhealthy for you and contains too many processed ingredients to count. That’s why we prefer lighter, fresher coleslaw recipes like this spicy cilantro lime slaw.
Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable with a surprising nutritional profile. It comes in all shapes and colors, but this recipe uses green cabbage. Green cabbage is rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, manganese, potassium, and calcium. It also contains small amounts of micronutrients that contain powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body. It absorbs whatever flavors you dress it will, and this recipe pops with flavor. The vibrant citrusy dressing wakes up the palate and gets you ready for the day!
- Prep Time: 10m
- Total Time: 10m
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 c shredded carrots
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and jalapenos to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lime juice, and sea salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings to please your taste buds.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to coat all of the ingredients.
- Let the slaw sit for about 15 minutes so that the ingredients can absorb the flavors. Serve and enjoy.