Kick your flavors up a notch when you make this spicy soup! The combination of the warmth and the spice will help to keep you warm on these colder nights. Beans are a great source of dietary fiber and protein, and the seasonings have powerful anti-inflammatory properties!
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 40m
For the Soup
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeño finely chopped (optional)
- 2 medium-sized carrots chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 16 oz can organic sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 18 oz cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/4 c cilantro chopped
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- sliced avocado
- diced jalapeño
- chopped cilantro
- Warm the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the jalapeño, carrot, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes (optional) and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
- Now you will pour in the beans, corn, and broth. Once you have a slow boil going, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Remove from the heat once you are finished cooking.
- If you want, you can blend half of the soup with an immersion blender. This technique gets a smooth yet chunky texture. If you don't want to blend, leave it be and enjoy.
- Finally, stir in the lime juice and cilantro leaves, along with a little more sea salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with your desired toppings and enjoy.