Mung bean sprouts may as well be called protein superheroes because about 25% of their weight is protein. Because of the folate and antioxidant content, mung bean sprouts have been known to help reduce inflammation and cholesterol levels. And that’s just from one ingredient in this salad!
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 5m
- Total Time: 20m
Chili Lime Sesame Dressing
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. grade A maple syrup
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- a generous dash of cayenne pepper or red chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger root, peeled and grated
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- a generous dash of lime zest
For the Salad
- 1 1/2 c mung bean sprouts
- 2 c kale, chopped and thick stems removed
- 1 c tomatoes, cubed
- 1 c cucumber, cubed
- sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- If you want to sprout the mung beans at home, follow these quick steps before you even consider making the recipe.
- Wash and soak the dry mung beans in water for 4-6 hours. Drain, rinse, and keep the bowl covered with a damp towel. Rinse every 6-8 hours until preferred sprout length.
For the Dressing
- Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Pour into a glass jar and let it sit for 15 minutes at room temperature to let the flavors gel together.
- If you have leftover dressing, it will stay fresh in the sealed glass jar in the fridge for 5 days.
For the Salad
- Warm a teaspoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the mung bean sprouts when the oil is hot.
- Season with a little sea salt and pepper, cover the pan, and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat when finished.
- Massage the chopped kale leaves in a little olive oil to help soften the leaves. This makes them less fibrous when you enjoy the salad.
- Combine the mung bean sprouts, kale, tomatoes, and cucumbers in a large salad bowl and toss to combine. Drizzle your salad in your desired amount of dressing and mix well to ensure all the ingredients are dressed.