It’s hard to resist plump, juicy strawberries. Unless you are allergic, they are irresistible. They offer a subtle tang that perfectly complements the light inherent sweetness. Although the best varieties arrive on grocery store shelves during summer, they are available year round. Incorporating them into your breakfast meals is one of the best ways to use them. That’s exactly what this recipe is for.
Strawberry chia pudding is just what you need if you are on a raw vegan diet. It is an incredibly filling dish that helps to hold you over until your next meal. This is because the fiber absorbs water and expands in the gut. The rich fiber content of chia seeds also helps benefit your digestive health. The fiber acts as a prebiotic to feed the healthy bacteria in your gut. Additionally, chia seeds are excellent sources of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). In fact, ALA makes up 60% of the oil in chia seeds. Omega-3s have a positive effect on both cardiovascular and brain health. Several studies found that omega-3s exhibit an ability to reduce blood pressure, regulate heart rhythms, and reduce inflammation.
When it comes to flavoring the chia pudding, the strawberries do their part to impart flavor, but it requires a few other ingredients. The raw agave nectar provides sweetness, but the splash of alcohol-free vanilla extract pushes this over the top. If you’re really feeling spicy, add a dash of cinnamon or a tablespoon of raw almond butter. Those are not required, but you can add them if you want a nuttier flavor profile.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 4 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Breakfast, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 2 c homemade almond milk
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 c chia seeds
- 1/4 c raw agave nectar
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tbsp. raw almond butter (optional)
- Add the homemade almond milk and strawberries to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl and then mix in the chia seeds, agave, and vanilla extract. You can also stir in the cinnamon and raw almond butter if you wish.
- Spoon the mixture into four separate jars, cover, and place in the refrigerator overnight to set.
- Remove one jar in the morning and enjoy for breakfast. Top with optional fresh cut strawberries.
- Ideally, you should finish the chia pudding within 3-5 days. Keep jars refrigerated during this time.